English as a Second Language
Many people from other countries live, work, and study in the United States and Canada. Often, they need to learn to speak English well to
- get or keep a job
- obtain medical care
- communicate with teachers
- hear the Gospel
English as a Second Language Basic Workshop
This basic workshop equips local church volunteers to intentionally share the Gospel with new English speakers. It addresses these areas:
- English as a Second Language as Missions
- Organizational Plan for Ministry
- Cultural Misunderstanding
- Techniques for Teaching English
- Planning a Class Session
- Understanding Student Fluency
- Incorporating the Bible in Class Sessions
- Sharing the Gospel
We now offer an online/live hybrid English as a Second Language Basic Workshop. Participants learn background material online and learn teaching techniques in a 4-hour live workshop. The hybrid workshop is for people who have basic computer literacy skills and are self-motivated. Before registering, consider this information:
- Assignments are required. They include a ministry organizational plan (can be done as a group), a lesson plan, a fluency interview, and a personal salvation testimony. Assignments are checked. In addition, checks for understanding are built into the course.
- The 4-hour live session is required to receive a certificate.
- The $35 registration fee is non-refundable.
- Participants who do not complete the course in the month in which it was started will have to pay the registration fee to take the course in another month.
- All classes begin at the beginning of the month and close on the last day of the month.
The English as a Second Language Hybrid Basic workshop will be offered six times in 2019:
Register at ESL Hybrid Course Registration